- There is no such thing as spicy. Nothing is hot...even when they warn you and say "muy picante".
- The toilet paper squares are twice the length.
- Don't be bothered by the cubierto charge on your bill...it's just the "fork fee".
- Paper napkins are waxy. The are very similar to a donut paper and basically don't absorb anything.
- Bread and/or rolls were served with almost everything we ordered, but butter rarely accompanied them.
- Eggs come on or in everything.
- If you ask for milk for your coffee...it comes warmed. What a fabulous idea!
- It is not expected that one will pick up their dog's poop. Watch out for the landmines.
- You push on all doors to go in and pull to go out. (being a fireman's daughter, I know that's a serious no no)
- As I mentioned in one of the posts, the keys are really old and have a lot of character. No turning the deadbolt from the inside, you have to use the key to lock yourself in.
- You have to ask for the check after a meal. They'll flat out ignore you until you flag them down.
- Lines do not move fast. Being completely ignored while two clerks are chatting it up is typical and apparently ok.
- Basically all sodas in restaurants still come in bottles.
- If you bought a drink in a plastic bottle from a kiosco (small 7-11 type shops) they would give you a straw to go with it.
- Did I mention the ice cream?
- Street lights go green, yellow, red and red, yellow, green.
- Almost everything is closed on Sundays (we found that out the hard way - ha)
- Mullets and rat tails are still in.
- The lavaderos douse your laundry in perfume (good thing Charlotte warned us about that).
- While the taxi drivers obey most of the traffic laws (no running lights and always give pedestrians the right of way), the do not stay in the lines. Rather they straddle them until they figure out which one is moving the fastest.
- Counterfeit bills are very common. We both had a couple and it's no big deal.
- In the subway, people will get on and hand you stuff...movies, trinkets, whatever they're selling. They let you look at it (or not) for a couple of minutes and then they come back around and pick it up. I never saw anyone buy anything, but it must work.
- A lot of the time the radio in a cab was set to a station with English music. Mostly stuff from the 80's I'd say. Kind of funny.
I'm sure if I tried really hard I could come up with another 2 things for a nice round 25, but this will have to do. What a great city and wonderful trip!
Still loving (and dreaming about) #15 :)
ReplyDeleteMullets and rat tails are still in. What is this?
ReplyDelete