This is the intersection of where our apartment was. The sign is a little broken (darn), but every time we were headed back to the apartment in a cab, we just told the driver - "Nicaragua y Scalabrini Ortiz" and we got home easily every time!
On Sundays, in an area of town called San Telmo, they have a open air market so we headed down there. We bought a couple of souvenirs and had lunch at a fun restaurant called the Hippapotamo (thanks again to Charlotte for the suggestion).
When in doubt, Tre was learning to order whatever the house special was on the menu. In this case, it was "The Hippapotamo". It was sandwich with a lightly battered thin slice of beef (similar to a chicken fried steak, but thinner), topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, a fried egg and ham. There might have been bacon, too...I can't remember for sure. I had a bite and it was delicious.
The combination of all the different flavors was amazing!
This was on the wall in Hippo and I had to take a picture. Supposedly it's the basic steps to the tango..."basic" is right! There's a lot of fancy foot work that goes on.
After our bellies were full, we checked out the other end of the market before we headed back to the apartment to get ready for the Tango Show. We hadn't been very successful in getting a good answer on a place to see a good tango show, but we asked the travel agent that booked our trip to Iguazu and he gave us a few suggestions. We had made a reservation at Piazzolla Tango on Florida street. Dinner at 8:00, show at 10:00.
Heading home on the subway...can you tell it was humid?
Before the show, the stage is directly behind us
Waiting for dinner (Taking pictures during the show was not allowed)
If I didn't tell you that we went to a tango show or tell you how it was, you'd probably think we were crazy, but this was the biggest disappointment of the whole trip, so I really don't want to.
But I guess I have to...
The food was not good (everything and I mean EVERYTHING we had eaten up until this point was delicious) and while the dancers were really, really great, I couldn't see their feet! Other peoples' heads were in my way... I couldn't see the amazing foot work they were doing. And there were only 6 dancers (3 couples), so every time they needed to change costumes or take a break, they had a couple of singers who would come out and that was not what I wanted to see. I wanted to see dancing, dancing and more dancing. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed. Don't get me wrong, we HAD to go (maybe if we would have picked one of the other 2 places that were suggested it would have been better, but we'll never know) and I'm glad we went, but it was a bummer. Plus, to really rub salt in the wound, we had requested a table in the balcony when we made the reservation, but it was not until we got there THAT night that they told us those tables were full. I would not have let them get away with that here, but it's not quite so easy to get your way when you don't speak the same language!
Ok, enough of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment